CityLab, The Atlantic’s sister site devoted to the most pressing issues and innovative ideas shaping cities and neighborhoods, is looking for an exceptional candidate to help us grow and develop our audience. This leadership position is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of expanding the reach and breadth of a growing news and opinion site with a distinct mission, entrepreneurial attitude, and willingness to experiment.
- In collaboration with the CityLab editor and audience team, conceive of and execute a revised audience development strategy to foster engagement and growth of our audience. This includes refining and developing our approaches to a range of tools, including social media, newsletters, SEO, the homepage, and other emerging platforms.
- Oversee the daily operation of that strategy.
- Develop and communicate refined analytics and performance metrics on audience reach, quality, and engagement.
- Work with fellow staffers to expand the type and breadth of our content promotion, and to develop a feedback loop with our audience that generates new story ideas and story refinements.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- At least four years of experience with audience development, social media, or equivalent work, including some with strategy development and analytics.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, particularly for headlines, social sells, and other packaging.
- A track record of success finding and feeding new audiences.
- A working knowledge of leading analytics and social platforms, and an ability to communicate data to others, identify trends, and separate the signal from the noise.
- A holistic view of audience development that includes collaboration with the editorial, product, and other teams to ensure that content is aligned with audience goals.
- Superb leadership, management, and interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiasm and ideas for how to cultivate a range of audiences for stories about cities, localities, and place.
- An entrepreneurial attitude.
CityLab has offices in Washington, D.C., and New York. For this position, the preferred location is Washington, but other locations may be considered. Please submit a résumé, cover letter, and an example of a project you’re proud of with a description of your measures of success.
Atlantic Media Values:
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.