AtlanticLIVE, the events division of The Atlantic, is seeking an energetic and generous leader to run our 20 person events management team.
AtlanticLIVE brings The Atlantic’s journalism to life on stage, grappling with the most urgent and exciting issues of our time. From politics to business, education, health, tech, race and culture. The team produces more than 125 events a year across the country and around the world. These include large scale events like Aspen Ideas and The Atlantic Festival, topical summits on weighty editorial issues and "on the record" roundtable dinners with subject matter experts.
The Executive Director of Event Management will report directly to the division’s president and is charged with running a cross-functional team of 20 that includes up to six direct reports who oversee event managers and audience recruiters. This team plays a pivotal role in producing Atlantic events and is key to the success of the enterprise. The Executive Director will have a rare constellation of skills that includes everything from event production and experience to budget management. Our ideal candidate will have deep experience in LIVE events and/or relevant experience.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- Proven and generous leader
- Effective manager of people and big projects
- An upbeat, can-do and problem solving demeanor
- A collaborator, able to forge strong relationships with colleagues, clients, and strategic partners
- A creative force, who can inspire colleagues to think beyond traditional bounds
- Familiarity with sponsorship sales and corporate clients
- A strong aesthetic, with an eye for quality design
- Meticulous attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- Experience with budgeting and cost management
- Effective contract negotiation skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and juggle multiple projects at once in an intense and fast-paced environment
- Ambitious and game to innovate, create novel approaches, and pursue new projects.
- Eager and able to solve team challenges
- Willingness to push through indecision and ambiguity to deliver results
- Welcomes feedback and always eager to learn
- Demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit and a curious mind
- Deep interest in current affairs and culture
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Strong executive presence
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.