The Atlantic is looking for senior designer to join our product team with a focus on the user experience, interactions, UI, visual design for the suite of digital products under The Atlantic brand. The ideal candidate’s experience is rooted in established design principles, and champions best practices and industry standards. You will need to know when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them. You will identify and correct product inconsistencies, in both the visual and user experience of our suite of products. Most importantly, you will create beautiful and usable interfaces that help our editorial team tell their stories.
Your responsibilities Include:
- Work on the entire lifecycle of the product: planning, research, user flows, prototyping, high-fidelity comps, and collaborate closely with engineers on implementation.
- Collaborate with product managers, developers, editors, data and other designers to build insight-driven product designs.
- Untangle difficult product challenges through exploration, experimentation and testing.
- Help us evolve, expand and utilize our design system, affectionately called Hippo.
- Balance the needs of the editorial team, the business, and the user.
- Work on both customer-facing interfaces as well as internal systems.
- Contribute to the growth of junior colleagues by providing mentorship, feedback, leading critiques, and elevating the overall output of the team.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in our products and process and take the initiative to provide solutions.
Qualifications for you to have:
- You’ve designed and shipped mobile and web products. Experience specific to media or publishing is a plus.
- You enjoy both details of the craft and deliberate, long-term systems thinking. You enjoy perfecting typography just as much as creating a component library.
- Demonstrate and articulate an understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy, coupled with user-centered design and current best practices.
- Software expertise with Sketch, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Experience using wireframing and prototyping tools, such as Invision, Omnigraffle, Framer, or Principle. A solid understanding of HTML and CSS. Coding experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication and writing skills: can brainstorm with a group, articulate ideas, and tease out feedback from colleagues.
- Comfortable working in an agile process environment.
- A passion for audience research, user-testing and insight-driven solutions.
- Enthusiasm for The Atlantic and a desire to contribute to the growth of our design culture and product expertise.
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions:
- Force of Intellect – a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in remarkable academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
- Spirit of Generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.