Route Fifty, an award-winning digital publication of Atlantic Media’s Government Executive Media Group, connects the people and ideas advancing state, county and municipal government across the United States. Areas of coverage include information technology, criminal justice, housing, infrastructure, transit, pensions, public finance and federal policies affecting state and local government. In addition to Route Fifty, publications of Government Executive Media Group include Government Executive, Nextgov and Defense One.
Route Fifty seeks a talented, sharp, and driven senior editor to oversee live and online events content, edit and write analytical pieces, and manage our annual awards program. The senior editor will work with our team of journalists and event producers to establish and maintain Route Fifty as the go-to source of information and analysis for those looking to understand the rapidly evolving state and local government landscape.
- Developing original program content for Route Fifty’s in-person and digital events
- Building and leveraging a network of connections in the state and local government arena to serve as speakers and moderators
- Moderating panel discussions and one-on-one interviews
- Editing and writing articles on current issues and ideas in state and local government
- Working with Route Fifty’s managing editor to solicit and edit articles from external contributors
- Overseeing the annual Navigator Awards selection process and awards presentation
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Experience in developing events, such as identifying topics for discussion and speaker recruitment
- Ability to serve effectively as an on-stage interviewer and panel moderator
- Knowledge of current and emerging issues and trends in state and local government
- A network of connections in the state and local government field
- Ability and experience in managing projects
- Strong writing, editing and analytical skills
- A positive, good-natured, energetic attitude
- At least three years of relevant experience
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Please include links to three examples of your work in addition to your resume and cover letter.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.