The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
The Associate Director, Partnerships will be an integral part of the sales team, responsible for building and developing new business to drive The Atlantic’s revenues across all partnership mediums: print, display/sponsorship, custom and programmatic. The ideal candidate is smart, ambitious, and naturally curious with previous sales experience and the conviction that high-quality journalism is fundamentally important—and the desire to help it thrive.
This role will report to the Senior Executive Director, Partnerships.
- Relationship-building, negotiating and effectively pitching opportunities with new clients/agencies to drive revenue against goals
- Cultivate strong relationships through a consultative process involving on-site meetings and presentations with client and agency decision-makers seeking to engage the thought leader/influencer market
- Develop and deliver winning cross-platform programs and proposals that lead to lasting and commercially successful advertising partnerships with a focus on integrated selling
- Maintain deep knowledge and understanding of the market, categories, advertising business, and trends
- Serve as a representative of The Atlantic brand in a positive, convincing, and enthusiastic manner
- Constantly identify opportunities for breaking new business & renewing past client partnerships using data and insights from current or past campaigns.
- Identify, create, and implement sales approach to ensure YOY revenue growth for account list.
- Lead account conversations with key internal partners to evaluate account performance, develop short and long-term strategies and discuss/act upon optimization opportunities
- Minimum 3 years experience in media, 1 year in sales (medium/format agnostic)
- Ideally has relationships on both agency side and client side
- Ability to be proactive, take ownership and work independently to meet aggressive performance goals
- Impeccable communication and relationship management skills, across both internal and external constituencies
- A natural ability to invent and deliver convincing arguments through spoken and written word
- A calm, cool, and collected mind—a constitution that affords “grace under fire”—coupled with a personality inclined toward perpetual positivity and a sense of possibility
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.