National Journal is seeking a Graphic Design Associate to work with our Presentation Center team. This person will work on creative design and format for custom client-facing deliverables ranging from editorial work including annual reports and short publications, to more extensive data visualizations and infographics, and more. They will sit on our marketing team and work closely with our product managers, analysts and existing graphic designer.
Local Washington, DC area candidates only, please. This is not a remote or telework position.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Partner with product analysts to design high-quality print and digital presentations for NJ clients
- Create custom client deliverables including infographics, newsletter templates, annual reports, one-pagers, briefing books, wireframes, charts and graphs, brochures, and data visualizations, to be delivered in client’s branding
- Transform quantitative data and qualitative research into compelling visuals
The Right Candidate Will:
- Be able to quickly familiarize with and apply a wide-range of branding guidelines from various members and clients
- Excel at client discovery and be able to take explicit, detailed direction from different stakeholders; developing designs through from concept to execution with multiple rounds of revisions
- Effectively process and reconcile feedback from multiple different stakeholders while communicating and educating on rational design choices
- Effectively manage multiple projects at one time and communicate expectations and deadlines
- Provide a strong creative portfolio that includes data visualization and demonstrated use of design principles including varied typography, color-theory, grid-based design, and white space. Please provide link to your web site in your application.
- Stay up-to-date on design and branding trends and offer new ideas for improvements to our products and process
- Contribute to a positive, collaborative work environment and use resources effectively to minimize turnaround time without compromising quality
- Bachelor's degree
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) as well as Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint on both Mac and PC platforms.
- Ability to create designs from provided wireframes
- Organized, focused, and detail- and deadline-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to articulately deliver presentations and the story behind design choices
- Beneficial but not required:
- Familiarity with 508 compliance
- Experience in user experience/user interface design
- Interactive design experience; problem-solving; illustration; 1+ year at an in-house agency
- Understanding of CSS and responsive HTML design constraints, with the ability to create designs that accommodate those challenges
- Ability to create design mock-ups for common user interface elements such as web forms, video players, and user comment areas Knowledge of best practices and design guidelines for HTML email design.
- Experience creating HTML/CSS prototypes
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.