We are reimagining the way quality journalism is delivered to readers. Join a growing team of engineers, designers, strategists, writers on a mission to elevate the best journalism in the world through innovative products and yet to be invented services. We need your talents to help us build what's next for one of the most respected journalistic intuitions. If you are looking for a job with purpose, this is it.
The Atlantic is looking for a talented designer to join our product design team which focuses on the user experience, interactions, and UI for our suite of digital products. The ideal candidate’s experience is rooted in user-centered principles, design best practices and industry standards. You will need to know when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them. You will identify and help correct product inconsistencies, on both the visual and user experience sides. Most importantly, you will create beautiful and usable interfaces that help our editorial team tell their stories.
What you will do
- Work on the entire lifecycle of the product: research, user flows, prototyping, high fidelity comps, and collaborate with engineers on implementation.
- Collaborate with product managers, developers, editors and other designers.
- Help us evolve and expand our design system, affectionately called Hippo.
- Balance the needs of the editorial team, the business, and the user.
- Work on both customer facing interfaces as well as internal tooling.
- Contribute to the growth of your colleagues by providing feedback, candid critiques, and bring fresh thinking to the team.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in our products and process and take the initiative to recommend solutions.
What we are looking for
- You’ve designed mobile and web products. Experience specific to media or publishing is a plus.
- You enjoy both details of the craft and deliberate, long-term systems thinking. You enjoy perfecting typography just as much as creating a component library.
- Demonstrate and articulate an understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy, coupled with user-centered design and product best practices.
- Software expertise with Sketch, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Experience using wireframing and prototyping tools, such as Invision, Omnigraffle, Framer, or Principle. A solid understanding of HTML and CSS. Coding experience is a plus.
- Excellent communication and writing skills: can brainstorm with a group, articulate ideas, and tease out feedback from colleagues.
- Enthusiasm for journalism, The Atlantic and a desire to contribute to the growth of our design culture.
Candidates must apply with a link to an online portfolio that shows examples of product design. Candidates without an online portfolio or web-specific examples will not be considered.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.