Ballast Research is dedicated to equipping federal and state advocates and policymakers in the public, private, and social sector with proprietary data and insights to inform their work. Our clients are among the most well-known, expert, and engaged in matters of policy and law. We serve them closely with a growing scope of support services.
We are recruiting candidates to join our rapidly growing firm as an Associate Director of Consulting & Client Service. In the past, we have enjoyed success hiring former consultants, research analysts, and communications or public affairs professionals.
The Associate Director will serve the team in three primary capacities:
- Data-Based Consultant: AD’s will use our quantitative and qualitative research to create reports, presentations, memos, and ad hoc communications materials for all clients. Qualified applicants will have experience distilling insights and recommendations from industry data and creating high caliber client-facing materials.
- Client Service: Associate Directors typically serve 7-10 “brand name” clients with insights and analysis, custom follow-up work, and implementation strategies. Successful AD’s are always identifying opportunities to strengthen and expand relationships within our existing client base.
- Project Management: AD’s will be responsible for managing client projects from inception to final presentation and follow-up. This will involve collaboration among various stakeholders including our researchers and senior leadership team to create customized and compelling products. It will also involve using creative problem solving and innovation to find new uses of our research and data expertise to solve clients’ unique needs
The Core Responsibilities
Associate Directors will have primary responsibility for the following areas of our engagements:
- Deepening Client Relationships. Onboard, interview, and understand the unique needs for each of the 7-10 clients “owned” by an individual associate consultant. contribute to fostering genuine, authentic, and enduring relationships with clients that extend beyond immediate needs and commercial interests.
- Communicating to Clients. Actively drive client relationships by maintaining ongoing and regular contact with a variety of contacts across clients. Proactively schedules in- person and virtual meetings to make sure clients needs are being met.
- Strategic Consulting. Lead the analysis, development, and communication (written and in-person presentations) of research-based consulting engagements meant to inform the investments and strategy of major organizations operating in the federal and state policy arenas.
- Conducting Policymaker Interviews. For each client, design and develop (in coordination with the client and qualitative research leads) interview agendas and guides; conducting roughly 30 peer-to-peer conversations with the highest level of policymakers at the federal and/or state levels.
- Quantitative Benchmarking. Analyze a rich data set of peer and industry benchmarking data, including longitudinal and demographic breakdowns, to surface key trends, insights, and actionable recommendations to inform a client’s advocacy strategy.
- System-Wide Contribution. Play a supportive role across formalized and ad-hoc teams to enhance an internal culture of support, feedback, and creating new opportunities.
- Innovation. Consistently contribute new ideas, ways to serve client needs, process improvements, and program-wide initiatives that advance the entire program’s success; seeking out and taking ownership wherever possible.
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.