The Atlantic is looking for a Software Engineer to join its product engineering team in our DC or NYC office to help build the future of journalism. As a member of our Story team, you will focus on improving the experience of TheAtlantic.com readers, as well as build features that help our writers tell stories in new ways.
The Atlantic is a digital-first media company with over 160 years of history and 36 million readers a month. We work on a cross-functional team with product managers, designers, and QA engineers to build creative and engaging products that showcase The Atlantic’s journalism. We use a wide range of technologies, and we are actively evaluating new ways to improve our workflow and products. As a team, we value curiosity and willingness to learn over specific technical experience.
What is the Story team?
The Story team is a group within our larger product and engineering organization dedicated to building new ways for our journalists to tell stories; we’ve been tasked with breaking the traditional mold for content on the web. This is a lofty goal, but we’re confident we can achieve it because we’re just as passionate about high-quality code and design as we are about the importance of good journalism in the 21st century.
Our first initiative is to reimagine The Atlantic’s article experience, modernizing our frontend architecture from the ground up. Then, we’ll focus on improving our story creation interface, bringing new levels of creative thought to all of the ways journalists tell stories at The Atlantic. From there, we’ll get to iterate and explore the entire realm of journalistic possibilities, with the goal of bringing bespoke-type experiences into reader’s everyday lives.
As a full-stack member of our reader experience team you will…
- Build reader-facing experiences that showcase The Atlantic’s journalism in new, engaging ways
- Maintain and improve Ollie, our custom content management system and web platform built on the Django web framework.
- Develop new APIs via our company-standard cloud deployment patterns to streamline content creation and delivery.
- Collaborate with platform, devOps, quality engineering, and our other feature teams to write, test, and deploy code that integrates with our APIs and distributed platforms, as well as our advertising and analytics systems.
- Participate in code review, pair programming, and mentorship with other team members.
- Collaborate with your cross-functional teammates to plan and execute ambitious projects on deadline.
- Enjoy coming in (or logging on!) to work each day—just as much as you enjoy going home on time.
As a software engineer…
- You have a broad set of skills: You’ve written full-stack code—ideally including Python and/or NodeJS—in a professional setting and are knowledgeable about best practices including unit testing, build processes, and documentation. You understand core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices.
- You are a strong communicator: You collaborate closely with other engineers—as well as editors and product managers on your core team—on a daily basis. You can write clear and concise documentation.
- You are a critical thinker: You don’t need to be told how to get from point A to point B; you feel comfortable tackling well-defined tasks with little to no supervision. You are up for the challenge of figuring out how the pieces of complex newsroom applications fit together.
- You have worked on large projects: You have collaborated with technical and non-technical stakeholders to evolve a large codebase.
- You have a team-first mentality: You care deeply about the people you work with and are excited to contribute to others’ success.
Atlantic Media Values:
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, and intellectual honesty to the ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.