The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
The Atlantic is seeking an experienced data analyst to help lead qualitative and quantitative research projects and support ongoing delivery of key insights to drive business growth. The Senior Data Analyst falls under the Data and Growth function and will work closely with partners in Consumer Revenue, Advertising, Editorial, and Product to understand performance, identify opportunities for improvement, and develop plans of action to maximize revenue and audience growth. This is a significant opportunity to be part of a growing team and help shape the way we develop, deploy, and operate production quality analytics systems and processes. In this role, your work will make a significant impact on The Atlantic’s data stakeholders and analysts.
What you’ll do:
—Identify the critical data-related challenges our business faces, and drive to solve them:
- Lead qualitative and quantitative research projects from hypothesis formation to delivering findings recommendations to stakeholders
- Help design, execute, and evaluate tests across the company
- Guide the development of reports, dashboards, and metrics to monitor the performance of our products
- Manage relationships with third-party analytics companies and other vendors, and work with them to commission joint studies, thought-leadership pieces, and other sales enablement tools
- Identify, develop, and prepare insights to be delivered to clients
—Serve as a major source for analytic support for multiple departments:
- Work with our teams to recommend and establish the best analytic approaches and set the standard of excellence for conducting, packaging up, and reporting on frequently used analyses and data sets (and related materials)
- Work with our sales and client services teams to understand client objectives and develop studies that provide the most accurate and comprehensive picture
- Communicate findings and recommendations in a way that’s easily understood by non-quantitative audiences; at the same time, work to socialize an analytical mindset throughout teams
- Provide guidance on the sourcing, management, and presentation of data
- Help drive the optimization, testing, and tooling to improve data quality
- Communicate and collaborate with both technical and non-technical members of the team
- Work with data scientists, engineers, and product managers to understand data needs
- Help engineers design and evaluate new data stores and processing pipelines
- The conviction that high-quality journalism is fundamentally important—and the desire to help it thrive
- Degree in math, statistics, economics, computer science, or some other quantitative field
- Relevant professional quantitative experience (not necessarily in the media industry)
- Experience managing projects and teams, mentoring employees, presenting to audiences, and communicating effectively and empathetically with clients and other stakeholders
- Strong SQL skills
- Experience in SAS, R, Python, Stata, or similar tools and in-depth knowledge of statistical methodologies and tools
- Demonstrated success in analyzing, and presenting large data-sets.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who have experience:
- Experience developing with at least one programming language
- Familiarity with Linux and comfort on the command line
- Experience with Google’s BigQuery
- Experience with NoSQL and Map Reduce.
Please note this position is based out of our New York City office and we are not considering remote candidates at this time.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.