Atlantic Studios explores multimedia storytelling in the rapidly evolving world of online video. We produce original documentaries, animations, and other nonfiction videos for The Atlantic’s digital properties and beyond.
The Atlantic seeks a development director to support the development of Atlantic intellectual properties for film, TV, and digital video. The ideal candidate is passionate about journalism and has a strong track record developing, pitching, and selling nonfiction IP. In this new role, the development director will be responsible for creating and managing a process for mining The Atlantic’s 160-year archive for stories that lend themselves to nonscripted and scripted development. The ideal candidate has strong communication and organizational skills, a knowledge of industry standard practices, and a background in nonscripted television development. The development director will be based in The Atlantic’s New York City office.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with producers at Atlantic Studios to develop ideas and create sizzle reels, pitch decks, and other audiovisual sales material
- Working closely with the executive producer of Atlantic Studios to pitch and sell new projects and establish production partnerships
- Identifying new and archival Atlantic content with potential for TV and film projects and facilitating opportunities for development
- Developing and managing a system to track intellectual-property rights across Atlantic platforms and communicate availability to relevant parties
- Serving as the primary liaison between legal, business, and editorial stakeholders at The Atlantic and The Atlantic’s agency to execute development agreements
Qualifications of the ideal candidate:
- At least four years of professional experience in journalism or documentary
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- A track record of success developing nonscripted film and television projects
- A creative, innovative sensibility and high editorial standards
- Excellent attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy
- A love of collaboration and experimentation
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.