The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
The Atlantic is looking for a Director of Ad Operations & Ad Tech to oversee TheAtlantic.com’s digital campaign management, ad performance, and ad tech strategy. This role will coordinate with internal stakeholders in editorial, marketing, product & development, and sales as well as outside vendors to successfully implement direct, video, native, and paid distribution campaigns. In this role, you will lead our ad operations and paid distribution team, be our main liaison with the ad product team, and oversee and optimize our suite of ad offerings for both yield and ad performance.
Ad Operations Responsibilities:
- Manage day to day responsibilities of the ad operations traffickers; ensure that traffickers are reaching their daily goals and successfully trafficking and implementing campaigns.
- Provide pre and post support to sales, planning, and product & development teams.
- Maintain and manage ad specifications to ensure we’re meeting industry standards.
- Oversight of takeover calendar and site-wide high impact implementations.
- Manage relationships with ad verification and brand safety vendors to ensure onsite ad quality.
Ad Performance Responsibilities:
- Oversee our sitewide ad performance. Both by optimizing our current suite of ad products but also by helping ideate our ad experience of the future.
- Manage our paid distribution team and process. Working with internal and external teams to strategize, optimize, and execute our paid distribution campaigns.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Pocket, Twitter, and/or any DSP experience a plus.
Ad Tech Responsibilities:
- Be the Revenue Team’s (marketing / sales / rev ops) primary liaison with the ad product team. Helping prioritizing sprint queues, explain business needs, and provide testing/QA assistance.
- Experience in troubleshooting of all ad types including display and video.
- Previous experience with 3rd party vendors such as DCM, Sizmek, Celtra, IAS / DV, etc.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree or professional experience in a related field.
- Experience in ad serving and ad management technologies such as Doubleclick for Publishers Moat, Grapeshot, and/or FatTail AdBook.
- Previous experience leading and managing an Ad Ops team.
- Strong project management and communication skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities, along with an ability to collaborate across departments.
- An ability to prioritize, troubleshoot issues both independently and with your team, and work with “grace under fire”.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.