National Journal is seeking a Graphic Designer to work with our product, digital, and marketing teams. This person will own the creative design and format of our product and custom client-facing deliverables, as well as our marketing templates, including web-based, print, and graphic designs. They will work closely with, and across, multiple teams as well as occasionally manage outsourced projects with freelance designers and provide design guidance to internal teams.
Local Washington, DC area candidates only, please. This is not a remote or telework position.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Own the creative design and development of product templates, custom client-facing deliverables, and marketing templates to include web-based, print, and graphic designs
- Design, develop, and deliver high-quality print and digital presentations, including research studies, custom client briefings, on-screen presentations, and template-based marketing materials
- Work on a wide-range of routine-to-complex design projects such as: research decks, infographics, presentation visuals, marketing collateral templates, web banners, wireframes, landing pages, charts and graphs, one pagers, brochures, and logos
- Transform quantitative data and qualitative research into compelling visuals
- Provide expert design guidance on projects and make recommendations for improving product and custom client deliverables
- Manage outsourced freelance designers for key projects requiring additional skill sets or support
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time, and communicate expectations and deadlines
- Stay up to date on design and branding trends and offer new ideas for improvements to our products and process
- Contribute to a positive, collaborative work environment and use resources effectively to minimize turnaround time without compromising quality
- Bachelor's degree
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) as well as Microsoft Office programs including PowerPoint on a Mac platform.
- Strong creative portfolio that must include data visualization and demonstrated use of varied typography, color-theory, grid-based design, and white space.
- Ability to create designs from provided wireframes
- Organized, focused, and detail- and deadline-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Beneficial but not required:
- Experience in user experience/user interface design
- Familiarity with digital imaging using Sketch
- Experience designing web pages to follow a standard grid system
- Understanding of CSS and responsive HTML design constraints, with ability to create designs that accommodate those challenges
- Ability to create design mock-ups for common user interface elements such as web forms, video players, and user comment areas Knowledge of best practices and design guidelines for HTML email design.
- Experience creating HTML/CSS prototypes
- Ability to create designs for mobile apps (iPhone/iPad)
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.