Atlantic Media is recruiting a business-minded Privacy & Digital Product Counsel to join our legal team. This attorney will collaborate closely with senior leaders of our product, data, engineering, growth, revenue, marketing, and technology teams to shape legal and business strategy for our media brands.
The core responsibility will be to lead our privacy compliance and vendor contracting practices:
- Owning and refining our brands’ CCPA and GDPR compliance policies and protocols, including coordinating business team responses to data subject requests;
- Negotiating vendor contracts, including with both SAAS vendors and independent contractors;
- Providing guidance to our consumer growth and marketing teams regarding domestic and international consumer protection regulations, including email marketing regulations;
- Working with our business teams to identify and assess legal implications of our product strategies, including data security and PCI compliance obligations, to facilitate a privacy-by-design approach;
- Identifying and assessing emerging domestic and international privacy regulations, and designing and implementing compliance strategies as appropriate; and
- Developing and leading internal trainings and resources for our business teams.
This attorney will also occasionally pitch in on other issues that our small but nimble legal team may face, including intellectual property issues (copyright, trademark, and publicity rights), client contract negotiations (digital advertising, sponsored content, research, and consulting services), and assorted regulatory issues.
The recruitment standard is high: someone of exceptional talent as demonstrated in his or her educational and professional credentials. The ideal candidate will have in-house and/or firm experience with many of the core practice area responsibilities. Familiarity with relevant intellectual property issues and/or the digital advertising space is also beneficial. Other attributes that may make someone a fit for this role include:
- A passion for media and curiosity about the changing digital media landscape
- A strong interest in data privacy (and its effects in the digital media space);
- A natural bent toward collaborative, solutions-oriented problem-solving.
Membership in the DC or NY Bar is required.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.