Building on the 160-year legacy of The Atlantic, and centered on lively, consequential discussion of contemporary issues, AtlanticLIVE produces more than 125 annual editorial events across the country—and the world. These include multi-day flagship programs like The Atlantic Festival and CityLab, topical summits on a range of issues from education to criminal justice, and on-the-record roundtable dinners with leading thinkers and changemakers. AtlanticLIVE has won numerous awards for its events, including the Folio: FAME Awards.
AtlanticLIVE seeks a collaborative and capable designer to join its Marketing + Design team. The designer is a key partner in the visual execution of our festivals, forums, and summits. In this role, you’ll translate the editorial ambitions of The Atlantic into compelling, expressive design both onscreen and onstage.
- Manage Design team
- Act as the lead influencer on the overall design vision
- Maintain accountability against formalized end-to-end processes that include environmental design, video and other digital projects
- Develop tools and processes to continuously improve efficiency and quality of work delivered
- Creative concepting of staging and environmental experience. Assets may include
- Large-format stage sets and backdrops
- Experiential displays and environmental signage
- Digital collateral including website assets, social media graphics, and email design
- Small-scale prints, such as agendas and attendee badges
- Motion graphics or animation
- Lighting design
- Building designed sales materials including event decks, briefs, and recaps
- Sourcing and directing creative production partners nationwide, including printers, production and fabrication teams, and A/V vendors
- Working across departments with teammates in event management, editorial production, audience development, and marketing to guide consensus and execute projects
- Exemplary design skills, with a strong background in brand identity, typography, color, and layout
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite
- A flexible and communicative approach to every challenge
- Appreciation of creative and technical trends, as well as best design practices
- Enthusiasm for working in a quick-paced, rapidly-evolving business, with a passion for media and experiences
- Management experience
- 10 years+ of professional design experience
- Proficiency with building motion graphics in Adobe After Effects
- Knowledge of CAD and 3D concepting software
- Position Type: Full-time
- Location: Washington, D.C.
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two pillar gifts in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.