Quartz is seeking an editor based in New York to join its Growth team and play a pivotal role in its development. Your mandate will be to help grow Quartz’s global audience on existing platforms and to develop strategies for identifying new ones.
The Growth editor should be immersed in the social conversation, be adept at SEO, and have strong instincts for the stories that audiences find engaging. You are at your best brainstorming ideas, working with writers and editors to hone theirs, identifying unique angles, and crafting creative approaches to finding an audience for them. You get a kick out of taking other people’s work and making it shine.
Specifically, the Growth editor will collaborate with writers, editors, and video journalists on everything from daily news and features to series and launches of big editorial initiatives. Daily responsibilities will include optimizing and packaging stories, using data to inform new strategies, working with the newsroom on best practices, and identifying and maintaining relationships with external partners and platforms. This editor will be intellectually curious, enjoy experimenting to figure out what works, and be hungry to understand the world better. She will bring a strong news sense to her editorial sensibility.
This position requires someone who has a facility with data, an entrepreneurial approach to their work, and the ability to move quickly while maintaining accuracy. You will be a team player who is able to multitask in a fast-paced global newsroom. The editor will have at least three to five years of professional experience in digital journalism.
- Working with writers and editors to identify stories to cover, collaborate on story framings and headlines, and advising on story packaging.
- Develop strategies to find niche audiences for Quartz’s global editorial teams and editions.
- Work with Quartz’s Special Projects and Product teams to plan and execute campaigns around editorial initiatives and ongoing series.
- Train writers and editors on social media and SEO best practices
- Develop and maintain relationships with external publishing partners like Facebook, Twitter and Google.
- Use data to report weekly results, identify new growth opportunities and share relevant findings with the newsroom.
- Curate Quartz’s social channels as necessary.
- Develop strategies for promoting Quartz’s writers on social media and appropriate digital channels.
- A problem solver by nature who proactively identifies issues and offers solutions.
- A results-oriented thinker who favors experimentation.
- A newshound who is tapped into the global newscycle and has honed their editorial judgement.
- A team player who values being part of a high-achieving team and wants to help your colleagues succeed and foster a trusting environment.
- A strategic thinker who can find creative ways to develop audiences.
- Comfortable with data and using analytics to inform strategy.
- An experienced journalist and growth editor with an understanding of social media and SEO best practices.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.