National Journal is a premier research and insights company committed to helping organizations effectively navigate Washington. The mission is to equip the thousands of government and business leaders in the nation’s capital with the intelligence, insights, and connections they need to save time, increase efficiency, and deliver success. Best known as one of Washington’s most trusted media brands for nearly 50 years, our expertise is unmatched with teams of specialists dedicated to government affairs, communications, and political research, in addition to exceptional journalism. National Journal’s premier products are: National Journal Leadership Council, Hotline, Race Tracker, National Journal Daily, Communications Council, Policy Brands Roundtable, Capital Exchange, Network Science Initiative, and the Presentation Center.
Local Washington, DC area candidates only, please. This is not a remote or telework position.
National Journal is looking for experienced Python Web Developers to join our digital product team on a variety of exciting projects, including front-end and back-end development of our current website, CMS, and rich data tools. All developers should be able to work solo as well as in collaboration with other developers and follow our best practice workflows, including keeping our architecture clean and developing new features within our existing methodologies.
Reports to the Vice President of Digital Strategy
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain a good development process and workflow, including identifying and implementing optimizations
- Participate in our system of peer code review, help to verify the quality of code being released, and maintain a high degree of focus on reliability and performance
- Provide accurate time and effort estimates for work completion based on requirements and help to ensure the team delivers on agreed-upon deadlines
- Contribute to a culture of automated testing and test-driven development
- Perform major and minor day-to-day development tasks as needed
- Collaborate with the Product Management team and peers to plan weekly sprints and daily tasks
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience successfully launching complex projects on time
- 2+ years of experience as a full-time developer for a web app, custom software product or organization web site
- Experience with the following technologies beneficial but not required: PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Jenkins, Backbone, React, AngularJS, D3, Pandas, Saleforce, CDNs, uWSGI, Redis, Celery, RabbitMQ, Apex, iOS development, machine learning/AI, or graph databases
- Experience working with large datasets without compromising code performance
- Routinely test, document/comment and review code before sharing it with others
- Organized, detail and deadline oriented, highly focused
- Ability to prioritize & manage multiple projects at one time; cool under pressure
- Analytical thinker with strong/creative problem solving skills
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
- Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.